Monday, November 24, 2008

Exciting Mail and a Recipe From My Childhood

I came home today hungry. Today was about taking care of your body in Soul Coaching, so I had a healthy breakfast and a healthy lunch. Unfortunately for me healthy means smaller portions, and that means not filling. My hunger was forgotten when I opened the mail box and found what I have been waiting for for days!

My keyring from Nydia came in the mail today! I danced all the way to my front door. It made my day so much better. Thank you Nydia!!

After I realized how hungry I was again I went and cut myself a nice big slice of home made bread. This is my great grandmother's recipe. I remember sitting down eating nice big rolls with melted butter as a child. This bread is so good, and I really want to share the recipe with you. I'm not sure if I can explain it, though. All my mom has is basically a list of ingredients. I've made it a few times with success, but I've also messed up a few times. It's still worth the work.

6 Tablespoons of butter
6 Tablespoons of sugar
1 ½ Cups water
6 Tablespoons canned (also called evaporated or sweetened condensed) milk
1 Package (2 ¼ teaspoons if you don’t use packages) of yeast
6-7 Cups (approximately) flour
¾ Teaspoon salt

Melt butter in a bowl in the microwave. Warm the water to a simmer, add sugar and melted butter. Put this into a big bowl and add the canned milk. The milk should help cool it. Stir until it reaches baby milk temperature (do the write test). Add yeast and mix well. Add flour. Knead, let it rise, shape and place in pans, let it rise again.

Bake at 375F for 30-35 minutes or until it sounds hollow when you tap it.

Sorry about how confusing that sounds. I tried to explain it the best way I could. All I can say is that if you mess up I hope you learn from the experience and try again!

2 comments:

  1. Oh I came tonight exactly to know if you've got the keyring, how cool!! :o) Thanks for the sweet words, Tori, you made my day too! M stupid computer is tricky lately, so i can't see the photo, but I'll try to see it tomorrow at the office. Your recipe sounds yummy, not messy! Anything with condensed milk I want to try! I love it!

    Kisses from Nydia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful Nydia's work is! She is so very talented.

    That breads sounds divine, sounds very sweet unlike a lot of traditional breads. I may have to try this one! I wonder if I could make it in my breadmaker.

    Thank you for sharing it with us! Did you make it yourself?

    ReplyDelete