Saturday, March 21, 2009

Salad Dressing Chocolate Cake with Homemade Frosting

Last night we hung out at my Aunt Jen's house and I made the cake I've been wanting to make since I got the recipe. Sort of. It is a recipe out of my Great Gram's book and it was a loving memory that my aunts and mom had of their grandmother. The recipe is for Salad Dressing Chocolate Cake. My aunt didn't have cocoa powder! So I altered the recipe and made it vanilla, no big deal. I was stupid and put all the batter in one round cake pan instead of two. It tasted fine, but the texture was just gross. It was like clay. xD So I am going to try again today, making it at my house where I know we have everything I need.

Salad Dressing Chocolate Cake
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda

Mix together and then add:
1 cup cold water
1 cup salad dressing (aka, miracle whip)
Mix well and bake in 350F oven for 35 minutes.

Makes 2 round cakes, or 1 large rectangle.

It is extremely moist, and tastes exactly like a regular cake. Just don't eat the raw batter, it's gross. I frosted it with the home made frosting I love so much.

Frosting
8 cups confectioner's sugar
2 cups white shortening
1/2 cup milk
Dash salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix well

This recipe is designed for a two layer cake. It makes a lot of frosting!

2 comments:

  1. You inspired me today Tori! I made brownies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the special treat in my house growing up was my mom's "mayonnaise cake".

    I'm going to have to crack out that recipe and make one, now!

    ReplyDelete