Sunday, October 18, 2009

In A Poetry Mood

Just for anyone who didn't know- I'm a poetry nut. I love literature, and I'm sad that it isn't a major part of my life. But when picking a future career I decided that restaurant management was a lot more practical than anything literature related. Everyone needs to eat, less and less people care about reading.

That being said I am totally in a poetry mood and just went to blackle (just like google, but it doesn't hurt your eyes!) and typed in poetry, hoping I could find a few good poems to read to satisfy my yearning for the written word.

Luckily a decent site actually came up in my search! I will be saving http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/ in my bookmark. All my poetry books are at home, and even though I have my kindle (best invention EVER!) I don't want to have to buy the books again. I can always read Shakespeare on my kindle, it was on of the first things I bought since my copy at home is the complete works that is so heavy and impractical to read from, but I prefer reading Shakespeare out loud and my roommate/ cousin is asleep.

Now to share a couple of the poems with you.

anyone lived in a pretty how town
by E. E. Cummings

anyone lived in a pretty how town
(with up so floating many bells down)
spring summer autumn winter
he sang his didn't he danced his did

Women and men(both little and small)
cared for anyone not at all
they sowed their isn't they reaped their same
sun moon stars rain

children guessed(but only a few
and down they forgot as up they grew
autumn winter spring summer)
that noone loved him more by more

when by now and tree by leaf
she laughed his joy she cried his grief
bird by snow and stir by still
anyone's any was all to her

someones married their everyones
laughed their cryings and did their dance
(sleep wake hope and then)they
said their nevers they slept their dream

stars rain sun moon
(and only the snow can begin to explain
how children are apt to forget to remember
with up so floating many bells down)

one day anyone died i guess
(and noone stooped to kiss his face)
busy folk buried them side by side
little by little and was by was

all by all and deep by deep
and more by more they dream their sleep
noone and anyone earth by april
wish by spirit and if by yes.

Women and men(both dong and ding)
summer autumn winter spring
reaped their sowing and went their came
sun moon stars rain


A Dream Within A Dream
by Edgar Allan Poe

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow--
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand--
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep--while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?


Yes, the more abstract poems appealed to me this morning in my half awakeness. Hope you enjoyed them!

5 comments:

  1. It's true, you have definitely found a more grounded path and sometimes studying what you love can ruin it. I have a degree in English and Creative Writing and that seems to have caused a long case of writers block for me. Thank you for sharing those poems, I love ee cummings, such an important writer, and now if the perfect time of year for Poe!

    You can still get Boo Berry Cereal? I am so super envious! It hasn't been in Canada since I was a kid, AKA a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checking in to say hello! I've been slacking on my blog reading something horrible this month, lol!

    Hope all is well with you and school is going great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finds! Don't you love the way a poet 'speaks' - I wish I was half as eloquent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!

    I admit...I'm more of a story nut than a poetry nut...but both can certainly fill a need in me.

    )O(
    boo

    ReplyDelete