Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Self-Search Update

I didn't post as much as I had planned last week. Not even close. But schoolwork piled up, and it still kind of is. We're nearing the end of the mod (NECI's term for semester) so all of our final projects are due soon along with the regularly assigned homework. It's a little hectic!

Valentine's Day sucked. I'm not talking about the movie. Although speaking of movies I did see that movie Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief. For anyone who knew anything about Greek Mythology it seemed a little dumbed down. It's based off a book meant for middle schoolers, though, so it has to be expected. It was still a good movie.

Even though I might not be in the mood to write about love like I promised in my last post, I have an update on the self-searching. I asked myself the questions: Who do I want to be? What do I want to do? What do I want to get out of life?
I got these answers. I see them as little goals for myself. =]

•I want to excel in the food/ hospitality industry
•I want to become fluent in at least Spanish
•I want to learn how to dance
•I want to learn to play the harp
•I want to enjoy nature
•I want to eat foods that are fresh and local
•I want to travel
•I want to be self-confident
•I want to own my own restaurant some day
•I want to eventually get married, have children, and settle down

The next step is writing down how I can achieve these goals and then actually following through with them. Example: I want to excel in the food/ hospitality industry. The easiest way to achieve this goal would be to continue my education here at NECI. I need to push myself into taking an internship that challenges me a little. But before I can do this I need to get the paperwork in order! See? It's all about steps. I have to organize and prioritize.

I want to become fluent in Spanish. My Spanish class that I've been taking all mod is ending soon! I'm worried I might forget everything I've learned. In order to continue practicing I am considering buying a Nintendo DS so I can buy the My Spanish Coach game. Does anyone know how well the game works? The cool thing is if it works well for Spanish then I can buy the one for French, which I'd also love to become fluent in. Then I could move on to another language if I wanted. Plus I'd have a Nintendo DS and I could buy some other fun games for it. Tetris anyone?

5 comments:

  1. I have never heard of that game for the DS. It sounds kinda fun though! I do love Tetris, by the way.

    I think it's great to outline your goals and a plan to get there. That could actually make it happen and I should take a lesson from you on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, being Canadian, all I know is a hint of French, no Spanish! I like that goal Tori and focusing on your career is so smart and inspiring. How interesting you want to play the harp, that's an instrument I always wanted to play. My favourite harpist is Loreena McKennitt. She is Canadian and out of this world. Her older work is very Celtic and takes me to old and ancient places where magick is in the air. Oh, how she transports me to special places. I highly recommend her CDs The Visit and Elemental, they are very Celtic and witchy and wonderful. Man, I think I gotta go listen to her stuff right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are writing out your goals! It's a super-good idea and one that will help you along on your journey.

    I like the idea of the Spanish class on DS - I've wanted to pick up one because my friends are using that "Brain Age" game, and say it's wonderful for keeping your mind active and young (something you don't have to worry about yet!) Let us know if you buy it - I'd love to know if it's a good game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oo Oo OOO!! You want to play the harp!
    I got my first harp 17 years ago, & LOVE playing harp!! It helped that I'd played piano (but it never sounded like I wanted it to!!) & knew how to read music - but that's not a requirement!! I got my 36 string harp from Rick Kemper in MD - ordered it on-line! Corresponded with another lovely harpist, Sue Richards, who has one of Rick's harps, & had written a review on his website.
    I play for weddings & events - kind of sporadically, & for myself.
    I also do energy healing (Reiki, Etheric) & 'send' healing when I play harp! Love it. Look for Gael Baudino's books - 'Gossamer Axe' & her 'Strands' series - very pagan & delightful!!

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a wise, old soul.

    If only I'd done all this soul-searching at your age!

    Good luck reaching your goals. There's no doubt in my mind you can.

    BTW, I want to learn to play the cello. ;)

    ReplyDelete