Saturday, April 24, 2010

Excited Over Compost

So, for my Capstone Project I emailed the composting company my school uses (Vermont Compost Company) asking them what kind of compostable products they accepted. I asked specifically about biodegradable take-out containers and compostable kitchen gloves. The email I got back shocked me.

Hi Tori

We do not currently accept "compostable" products but we know there are new things coming out all the time and we realize that we need to start re-considering some of the options. Could you get samples for us and info about the suppliers?

Thanks!

Jennifer


I think I even squealed when I read that email! I am so excited that I have the chance to help this big company possibly change their policies and accept man-made compostable products in their bins.

I was telling my parents about this and my mom says they might consider beginning to compost. It took me forever to get them to recycle, so that would be a big step. I just need to gather info about the benefits of composting, why it's so important, and how to do it. (I'm supposed to do this for my project anyway) Once I get this info I can share it with more than just my family. I can share it with schools, restaurants, and anyone else who will listen.

I am truly more excited about all this than I am about the beautiful 70 degree day being predicted, that I can wear a skirt, and that I'm hanging out with a bunch of friends today. This weekend is going to be so awesome.

3 comments:

  1. Way to go Tori! Composting is so important and makes such a difference. This is the first province I have lived in that does composting and I am amazed at what a difference it makes. Between that and recycling we have so little waste, it's amazing. Way to go Tori!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Tori! It'll be awesome to "test" their product, and share your opinion with everybody helping them with their own choices!

    And if your mom wants to start composting, great! It's really a huge step!

    Kisses from us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tori - that's great!! Both the ?? from the company, & your parents' new 'interest' in composting!!
    This is the composter I'd love to have - isn't it the cutest?? Found the link some time ago & wish it was US made :) http://www.rolypig.com/
    I have a black 'bin' that was here when I moved in, & want my son-in law to make me a worm bin like I saw at our Farmer's Mkt - ~ 24"x48", with a divider of wire mesh (hardware cloth) so you fill one side (~ 24" deep) with your kitchen waste, then start filling the second side, & the worms will migrate!
    Pretty & practical!

    ReplyDelete